Carrie Underwood, the Grammy-winning country singer who will destroy your property with a baseball bat and never get charged for it, released a new track from her upcoming album Storyteller this week, and it’s got a long title. Not Illinois-era Sufjan Stevens long, but long.
The song is called “What I Never Knew I Always Wanted” and it’s actually kind of great. A verbose, sort of Celine-Dion-but-with-a-Southern-accent country ballad about being in love (for real) for the first time.
But did you know it was originally called something else? Sources tell Jezebel that “What I Never Knew I Always Wanted” was actually Underwood’s 11th choice for the song’s title.
The first 10 are below:
- “I Know I Said I Didn’t Want This, But People Change, Big Deal, So Sue Me”
- “I Want This Now, Which May Surprise You, Given The Fact That It’s Unlike Me”
- “If You Asked Me A Few Years Ago Whether I Wanted This, I Would Have Said ‘Ha, Absolutely Not! What Am I, Crazy?’”
- “Guess What, I Love You Now! Can You Even Believe It?”
- “Oh, So This Is What True Love Is Like? Sign Me Up!”
- “At First I Wasn’t Sure Whether Or Not I Wanted This, But Now I’m Nearly Certain That Yes, It Is Precisely What I Want”
- “I’m Tremendously Excited About How I Suddenly Feel About You And Apologize For Taking So Long To Come Around”
- “I’m Really Looking Forward To A Lifetime of Wanting Exactly This”
- “I Didn’t Know This Was What I Wanted, But, Welp, Here We Are!”
- “Untitled (How Does It Feel To Know That I Suddenly Want This?)“
Other songs from Storyteller include “I Know We Just Started Dating, But Can You Watch My Dog While I’m Out of Town Next Week?,” “You Know What, Carl? I Think I’ve Had Just About Enough Of Your Bullshit,” and my personal favorite, “I’m Sorry For Cursing, But Sometimes—God Help Me—I Lose My Temper.”
You can listen to “What I Never Know I Always Wanted” below.
Contact the author at email@example.com.
Image via Arista Nashville.