A few things happened on this week’s double-night Cirque du Soleil-themed Dancing With the Stars, but we’re only going to focus on one of them.
- Ryan Lochte redeemed himself officially in the eyes of America through his strong frame and musicality.
- Amber Rose managed to perform a fairly okay tango, keeping her safe for another week. Julianne Hough apologized for body shaming her during her “Booty” dance; it was gracious and nice.
- One dancer, Sascha, proposed to another dancer, Emma, after performing a contemporary dance.
- Cirque acrobats were literally hanging from the ceilings and were essentially ignored.
- Host and my dream best friend Erin Andrews was back, and made me realize how much I missed her.
- Kenny “Babyface” Edmonds and Vanilla Ice were both voted off in a double elimination, and—I never thought I’d say it—neither of them deserved it.
In our coverage last week so much went on that there wasn’t even a moment to honor Laurie Hernandez for being undramatically perfect consistently. Laurie and partner Val had less time to prepare this week because Laurie was at the White House (no big deal) for a day or two, but we didn’t notice! Here’s her impeccable dance (the first perfect score of the season) to Michael Jackson’s “The Way You Make Me Feel”:
Maureen McCormick took Hernandez aside to let her and us know that she was close with Michael Jackson in real life and she did him so proud!!!! So now we know that. God bless Laurie, our national hero.